The Emergency Housing Assistance Program serves eligible Montanan families, who because of the COVID-19 emergency or the response to that emergency, have suffered substantial financial hardship and lack sufficient income or resources to pay housing costs.
- The program can pay the difference between 25% of the eligible household’s reduced net monthly income due to COVID-19 impact, and their eligible housing costs (i.e. monthly rent or mortgage payment), with assistance ranging from a minimum of $250/month and up to $2,000/month.
- A housing assistance calculator is available on our https://housing.mt.gov/Rental-Housing/CovidHousingAssist
- The program can assist eligible households with housing costs beginning in April 2020.
- Rent or mortgage payment arrears due prior to April 1, 2020 are not eligible.
- Subsequent month(s) of assistance are contingent on completion of a Request for Continued Assistance form attesting to the need for on-going assistance, and subject to available funding. This form will be sent to previously awarded applicants to complete. Previously awarded applicants do not need to submit a new application.
- Homeowners participating in a forbearance program are eligible to apply.
- Unpaid security deposits corresponding with initial lease agreements effective April 1, 2020 or later are eligible.
- Payments are made directly to landlord/property owners, mortgage servicers and/or hazard insurance companies.
Please gather the following documents / information before you begin your application:
- Executed lease / rental agreement (renters)
- Current monthly mortgage statement (homeowners)
- Current hazard insurance statement (only for homeowners who pay insurance directly)
- Income documentation for all sources of household income. Applicants will be asked to upload documentation showing lost/decreased income at time of peak COVID-19 impact, as well as current income documentation (i.e. paystubs, letter from employment, Social Security/pension statement, unemployment statement etc.).
- Contact information, including email, for your landlord or mortgage servicer.
Note to previously declined applicants:
- If you previously applied and were denied assistance because your monthly income was equal to or exceeded your monthly housing costs, but have since experienced a decrease in your household income (i.e. due to end of $600/week federal unemployment insurance at end of July), please contact us with a request to re-assess your application by calling 406-841-2840 or email email@example.com. Please do not submit a new application. We can retrieve your prior application and open it for editing so you can provide current income information and documentation.
Mobile Users: Please note file uploads may not work on all mobile devices
We recommend using the Chrome [salesloft.submittable.com] or
Firefox [salesloft.submittable.com] browser, if possible.
Please note that certain elements of our platform -- including file uploads -- may not run as efficiently on Explorer, or older versions of Edge [salesloft.submittable.com].
Please note that it will not be possible to edit your application once it's submitted; to make changes you'll need to withdraw your application and resubmit. We encourage you to take your time and fill out the application completely and accurately and review before submitting.
Need help downloading Chrome or Firefox? Here are some links to help:
google.com [google.com] Google Chrome - Download the Fast, Secure Browser from Google(opens in new tab) [salesloft.submittable.com]
Mozilla Download the fastest Firefox ever(opens in new tab) [salesloft.submittable.com]